Outlook 2016 hangs on 'loading profile'
Outlook 2016 sets up correctly (initially) and then loads fine. Then the user closes and reopens Outlook. The problem is that now it loads to the blue Outlook screen saying 'loading profile'. It sits there forever until we have to force it closed, or closes with an error message.
Windows 7 Pro SP1 (brand new installation) with Office 2016 (brand new installation) connecting to local Exchange 2013 server mailbox.
Attempted fixes (that did not work):
- Delete and re-create the Outlook profile
- Add registry key to DisableHardwareAcceleration
- Run both 'quick' and 'full' repairs of Office 2016
- Completely uninstall and reinstall Office 2016
- Recreate entire Windows profile
- Run Outlook.exe /safe (did not even open)
- Run Outlook.exe /resetnavpane (did not even open)
- Run chkdsk c: /f and restart
The fix that worked:
Right click on the Outlook 2016 shortcut and select the Compatibility tab. Untick the box next to 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7 Service Pack 1'. I am not sure why this was ticked in the first place - this was there by default. Neither am I sure why it still didn't work as the computer is running Windows 7 SP1 anyway.
After that Outlook opened immediately and would close and reopen perfectly. I don't know why this worked, but i'm sharing it in case it helps anyone else.
Did this article help you today?